This video (as well as the slides, also contained in this item), are from VM Brasseur's Crash Course in Tech Management
talk at OSCON 2014
A high quality version of this video is available from O'Reilly Media
. I suggest you check it out, since it actually looks/sounds decent. ;-)
“Wow, are you ever a great programmer! You’re such a great programmer that we’re going to make you a manager!” A promotion! Calloo! Callay! Except…the truth of the matter is that being a good programmer doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll be a good manager. You’re about to have a lot of new responsibilities thrown at you. Are you ready?
Thankfully for you managing is a skill which you can master just as you did programming. This session will introduce you to many of the skills and resources you’ll need to become a successful tech manager (and keep your team from wanting to string you up).
Some of the topics which we’ll cover:
- Staff: Hiring, firing and development
- Meetings: Love ‘em (or leave ‘em…which is a valid option)
- Company politics: Are you backing the right horse? Are you even in the race?
- GSD: How to Get Sh*t Done
- Communication: The most important part of the job
- The fun stuff: “So, will I still be able to program?”
- Zotero Collection of tech management articles & resources (a continual work in progress)